Vice President, Local Affairs
Thelma Sias knows the value of relationships.
As We Energies’ vice president of Local Affairs, Thelma is responsible for building and enhancing long-term relationships with community leaders and local government to garner support and approval for the utility’s critical corporate initiatives. In her role, Thelma directs activities to monitor community concerns and negotiate with local government on policies that impact company operations. Under her leadership, Local Affairs addresses the service needs of We Energies municipal customers and school districts—the total annual revenue of which exceeds $230 million.
Thelma is deeply committed to the community. Originally from Mayersville, Mississippi, Thelma moved to Milwaukee in 1983. Since that time, Thelma has been an active member of many civic boards, including:
- Zoological Society of Milwaukee
- Children’s Hospital Foundation Board
- Milwaukee Public Library Foundation
- Asset Builders of Wisconsin
- Aurora Visiting Nurses Association
- African-American Women’s Fund Project
- Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin
- Community Advocates
- Greater Milwaukee Diversity Committee
- House of Peace Ministry Council
- Milwaukee Area Workforce Development
- Usher’s New Look Foundation Milwaukee Advisory Counsil
- Wisconsin Women’s Health Foundation
- Word of Hope Advisory Council
In recognition of her commitment to community service, Thelma has received numerous awards from civic and professional organizations and corporations including:
- Lynde B. Uihlein Award, Women’s Fund of Greater Milwaukee
- Sacagawea Award, Professional Dimensions, Inc.
- McDonalds 365Black Award
- The Business Journal of Milwaukee Women of Influence Award
- Outstanding Woman of Achievement, YWCA of Greater Milwaukee
- Women Who Put their Stamp on Milwaukee, U.S. Postal Service
- Black Excellence Award, Milwaukee Times Newspaper/Fox 6
Thelma’s formula for professional and personal success is simple — and it’s a lesson she learned from her mother: Treat others with the same respect and dignity you so desire.